Wednesday, November 29, 2017

The Final Press: 1 Week Out

TAYLOR was on hand tonight to assist, having just bombed his second 252.5 kilogram squat. The first was solid though, and of course means young Tay Tay now has a stronger squat than yours truly.

Sunrise, sunset.

I asked him if he could call my benches, to better prepare for the comp. And it did not go well. I didn't wait for the 'start' call when I pressed 160, also sinking the bar into my chest. The rep was slow and energy-sapping. So I really shouldn't have tried 170 next... but I did. And this time I rushed the 'press' call! Feeling like a novice, I thanked him for his help and moved on to the rest of the routine.

I broke my own rule about failing in training, one week out from the comp. Let's just hope I can manage the 170 on Sunday... more than that, now, is pretty much guaranteed not to happen.

As always, though, my deadlift is strong. If I miss the mark on bench, I am pretty confident I can make up for it with a big pull, to reach a 500 total.

All in all, this has been a pretty good comp prep for me. No injuries, no illnesses... I didn't trash my program a few weeks out; with the exception of tonight's performance, it's been solid. All that's left to do now is rest, eat, and wait.

PRESS+ Tuesday November 28th
stretch
Bench press (paused):
bar x 10
65 kgs x 5
105 kgs x 3
125 kgs x 2
145 kgs x 1
160 kgs x 1
170 kgs x fail
Incline bench press:
100 kgs x 8, 8, 6
DB front raises (p/h):
12.5 kgs x 2 x 10 - quit due to R shoulder strain
EZ bar skull crushers:
45 kgs x 10, 8, 8 PR
super-set w/Triceps pushdowns:
full stack x 20, 12, 10
HS chest press (p/h):
47.5 kgs x 3 x 10
super-set w/HS bicep curls (l&r):
20 kgs x 3 x 10

No comments:

Post a Comment