Sunday, October 7, 2018

Pull+ Thursday & Events Saturday: Prep wk10



I NOTICED I'd shrunk another notch on the Inzer Thursday night during deadlifts. My pulls and grip are feeling strong once again. I'm looking good for a return to heavy clean-press shortly! It's about goddamn time. But I also need now to prioritise static axle OHP as part of my preparation to tackle the 130 kilogram yoke I'll need to press for event two of the WASM state championships. I am predicting not a lot of people will get even one rep. I aim for at least one.

I've been deadlifting for quite a few years, with an axle almost as much as a barbell. And for over the years now I've been using the same pair of Loaded Lifting axle straps that feature in this Facebook promo. Well, Thursday night one of them finally tore, just a little, during my second set of 310. Three years is a pretty good innings, I reckon.
Then Saturday came and I began the session with event one of WASM finals, the axle squat. I set up in a pretty precarious Oly rack and used boxes to approximate the height at which the axle will most likely be set. It didn't go so well. Next time I will use a sturdier rack...

I worked up to a comfortable enough triple of 175. Then, while unracking 205, I got a stabbing pain in my right lower lumbar. Not related (I don't think) to the impinged nerve on my left. It felt like it ran down my right glute. I will be seeing my physiotherapist as soon as I can make an appointment. Hopefully this is a muscle issue. I often get strains in my gluteus with regular lower body training - especially yoke, farmers and squats.

I moved on to event two: the yoke overhead press. The injury didn't affect this. I was pressing the axle directly from the rack, rather than walking it out a little and positioning at the top of my chest first. I'm pretty confidant I'll get to the yoke before game day. Today it was not to be.

I finished off with a reintroduction to the zercher carry, which is event three. This was impacted somewhat by the glute/back complaint. As with the yoke press, I didn't reach comp loadings today. Next week I'll be getting closer to comp weights, as well as doing stones... an event I haven't performed in a very long time.

EVENTS Saturday October 6th
stretch
Axle squats:
75 kg x 10
125 kg x 5
175 kg x 3
205 kg - right lumbar/glute pain
Yoke OHP (using steel axle):
67.5 kg x 5
87.5 kg x 3
107.5 kg x 2
Zercher carry:
130 kg x 4 x 10 meters
170 kg x 2 x 10 meters

PULL+ Thursday October 4th
stretch
Axle deadlifts:
80 kg x 10
140 kg x 7
180 kg x 5
230 kg x 3
270 kg x 1
310 kg x 2 x 3 TPR
HS seated rows (p/h):
42.5 kg x 3 x 15
super-set w/HS bicep curls (l&r):
15 kg x 3 x 10
Face-pulls:
plate 12 x 4 x 20
super-set w/DB front raises (p/h):
12.5 kg x 2 x 10
10 kg x 2 x 10
Cardio:
assault bike 5 mins @ +50 rpm

No comments:

Post a Comment