Wednesday, January 18, 2012

16/01/12 An Ache To My Bones

Squat Monday this week became Deadlift & Squat Monday.

Deadlifts
8 reps @ 60 kgs
5 reps @ 100 kgs
5 reps @ 140 kgs
4 reps @ 180 kgs
3 reps @ 190 kgs
2 FAILS @ 200 kgs*

Really, really fkn disappointed with this effort. I'm down on strength not just from last year - I'm not as strong as I was last week. More on this later...

Squats
10 reps @ 30 kgs
8 reps @ 70 kgs
3 reps @ 110 kgs

I quit right here because it hurt. It ached right in my bones... or more properly, my knees and hip joints. And now I know why.

The pain has been getting worse each session since I returned to training this year, and it is due to me not eating enough Omegas. Lately I've been slacking on my daily multi, glucosamine and - most importantly - fish oil.

And I'm down on strength because (wait for it)
I'M NOT EATING ENOUGH CARBS.

Grains are not good for me; they wreak havoc with my digestion (acid reflux, IBS) and I am never going to  start eating bread or drinking soda again. But I do need to accept the fact that naturally occurring carb sources are rich with slow burning fuel and are practically essential for people who want to progress in strength.

Or this is what I'm told.

I'm going to start accommodating brown rice and maybe even oats in my diet - maybe not every day, but leading up to my events this saturday I will be carb loading. I need every advantage I can give myself at this point.

And I'm not done researching the subject, either. I want to know what other strength trainers who also use pale are doing to combat the loss of carbs for fuel... I might even ask for input on my half gallon of milk per day, and see what people think of the long term benefits or implications of this diet.

No comments:

Post a Comment