Friday, August 17, 2018

Press Wednesday & Pull+ Thursday

AXLE deads are on point. But then - at just three weeks into a three month prep - they should be. I am getting regular lower back pumps from the increased pull height and training frequency. This is not a bad thing, but after a while it becomes constricting. Just another indication that I need a thorough dry-needling, soon.

A combination of factors required that I move my press session from Tuesday to Wednesday night, which I was actually thankful for as I wanted the additional recovery time. My left hand has been bothering me since the end of last week. I have no idea what I did to make it angry. There's kind of a dull ache in the centre of my palm that becomes a stabbing pain when I clench my fist. Certain movements are ok, I happily discovered while deadlifting last night. And certain other movements are definitely not ok, like anything involving rotation or supination of the wrist. Which I learned while trying to do my log work the night before.

I handled it at 50 and 70 kilograms, but at 90 my grip strength was so compromised I could feel it slipping as I cleaned the first rep. The press was unbalanced and excruciating. Continuing would just make the issue worse so I scrapped log press and, later, the rest of the session. Even benching a 60 kilo barbell was painful after that.

Another squat and legs session will be on the roster next week. With my hand in the condition it's in currently, more log clean-press this Saturday would be a bad idea and I cannot deadlift again so soon, so I will need to find things to do in addition to yoke walk. Things that don't require grip. Or at least, grip with both hands. Maybe some monster dumbbell clean-presses, right side only.

PRESS Wednesday August 15th
stretch
Log clean-press:
50 kg x 5
70 kg x 5
90 kg x 1 - left hand injury, rest of session scrapped

PULL Events + Hypertrophy Thursday August 16th
stretch
Axle deadlifts (40 cm pull height):
75 kg x 10
125 kg x 8
175 kg x 3
210 kg x 3
235 kg x 3 x 8
Meadows rows (l&r):
37.5 kg x 2 x 20
HS seated rows (p/h):
37.5 kg x 2 x 20
Seated row machine (underhand): scrapped
Axe-swings (l&r):
plate 9 x 3 x 10
Face-pulls:
plate 12 x 3 x 20
super-set w/DB side raises (p/h):
12.5 kg x 3 x 10

No comments:

Post a Comment