Monday, November 5, 2012

Squat Monday: Gassed, But Happy

Squats - heavy
10 reps @ 30 kgs
8 reps @ 70 kgs
6 reps @ 110 kgs
3 reps @ 150 kgs
10 reps @ 180 kgs PR

Good mornings - light
10 reps @ 30 kgs
10 reps @ 70 kgs
10 reps @ 110 kgs
8 reps @ 125 kgs
8 reps @ 140 kgs

WAS feeling off my food before training tonight... not sick, just not hungry, so my energy was pretty low. I again lost steam after the higher volume sets of GMs and had nothing left. But being exhausted after 10 sets isn't necessarily a bad thing. Not when it's lower body and heavy.

I know it doesn't look like my heavy session, but this is how you build higher reps with +200; do it progressively with -200. I have done this once before - building up using moderate- to high- rep sets* with a max effort final set, starting at 150 kilos and adding 5 or 10 kilos per week or per fortnight until I could perform 4 proper reps of 200 kilos and then 3 of 205 kilos. I started this progression again 2 weeks ago. I expect to rep 200+ for 5 or 6 in another month.

Shit, what the hell else am I doing with my time in the gym? I'll do it next week.

*Notice that the reps diminish as the bar gets heavier, until the penultimate set, which must be 3 or less. It's just a method of getting used to the weight without wasting too much of your effort moving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment