Saturday, May 6, 2017

Rehab Don't Mean Light Weight #3

SEVERAL years ago, while rehabbing my first strongman-related injury - torn shoulder cartilage - I had to get real familiar with the cambered bar. I did, and worked up to this set of 5 two hundred kilo good mornings. When my quad tears from GPC Perth Cup last year meant I couldn't use my legs, I started stiff-leg deadlifting for the first time, and worked up to this set of 7 x 200 kilograms.




This rehab I've hit a new personal record for reps on axle press and now what I'm pretty sure is a personal record for reps on squat. Not just cambered bar - this was more than I've done with that weight on any bar in a single session. And I have to say, it took a lot of effort to get it done, both mentally and physically.





I have a lot of self doubt, especially when it comes to squatting. My track record is not great. I will never abandon the squat completely as it's a valuable training exercise. But whenever I do it, I want to be able to do it properly. And so I've fought my shitty, arthritic knees in order to carry this weak movement along. Ever so slowly developing better form, hitting more depth, more comfortably. This has always been the aim, even if it then takes me a fortnight to recover enough to continue the program.






My SBD sleeves have been fantastic. By far the best sleeve I've used. I don't ever plan on using knee wraps; my knees don't agree with them. But these I am hopeful will allow me to get a little closer to that golden 300.


SQUAT FRIDAY May 5th
Stretch and foam-roller




Cambered bar squats:
50 kgs x 10
90 kgs x 6
130 kgs x 4
165 kgs x 2
195 kgs x 3 x 5 PR




Assault bike: 5 minutes @ 50 rpm




HS seated rows:
40 kgs p/h x 4 x 10




super-set w/Axe swings:
L&R plate 6 x 4 x 10

No comments:

Post a Comment