Saturday, May 13, 2017

Out of the Slow Lane

Yeah, that's enough of a deficit
FINISHING the training week on a high note. I couldn't get to my pulling routine till Friday night (which made yoke the following day that little bit more fun), and was so excited I walked straight past the assault bike to the back of the gym and collected a texas bar from the rack before I'd even warmed up. I also got two sets in before remembering I was supposed to be doing them from a deficit.
 
 
New deadlift socks to mark the occasion

This was my first time deadlifting since just before the tendon injury in January, and then I was only working my way back from the quad tears I suffered at the Perth Cup in September last year. So I'm back to week one, again, and there's no way I can accurately state when I'll be pulling over 300 again. After speaking with Jeremy about Eben le Roux's recovery time - who sustained the same injury not long ago - I can hope to be somewhere near full strength by early next year. Maybe sooner. I'm planning for sooner. 

The only thing that didn't go exactly to plan was the seated rows; after the other stuff, my still-recently reattached tendon was beginning to feel taxed, so I skipped the fourth set. And after completing the rest of the program I doubled back for my 5 minutes of cardio.

Atlas stones! Just one of the new strongman events at PTC Perth
THEN all of a sudden it was Saturday, and yoke walk was my next challenge. I worked up to a slow and uncomfortable 300. I'm finding that my right ankle, which I fractured in two places being foolish last year, gives me a bit of hassle when the weather turns cold. I'll probably have to get an ankle brace.

Alex was already in the middle of his training when I arrived. Clinics start at 12 noon now, but with the new program that Carl has written him, Alex is gonna be in the gym a whole lot more than the rest of us. He asked for a hybrid PL/SM template, and Carl gave him one. He'll come out the other end strong as fuck, if he survives it.


The rest of the crew got themselves busy with a variety of events. It was great to see the whole playground being used.


FRIDAY May 12th - DEADLIFTS
Stretch w/foam roller


Deadlifts:
60 kgs x 2 x 10
Deficit deadlifts:
60 kgs x 4 x 10


Bent-over BB rows (underhand):
60 kgs x 4 x 10


HS seated rows:
40 kgs p/h x 3 x 10


Face-pulls:
plate 9 x 4 x 20


Assault bike: 5 minutes @ 50 rpm


SATURDAY May 13th - EVENTS
Stretch


Yoke walk:
130 kgs x 2 x 20 meters
210 kgs x 2 x 20 meters
270 kgs x 20 meters
300 kgs x 20 meters


Log clean-press:
45 kgs x 2 x 10


Assault bike: 5 minutes @ 50 rpm

No comments:

Post a Comment