Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Push/Pull Wednesday: 'My Time of the Month'

Retarded Shannons*
8 reps @ 25 kgs
8 reps @ 35 kgs
3 reps @ 45 kgs
4 half reps @ 45 kgs

Shoulder warmup

1-arm DB OHP (strict)
8 reps @ 20 kgs
5 reps @ 30 kgs
3 reps @ 40 kgs
2 fails @ 50 kgs WTF!?
9.5 reps @ 40 kgs PR

1-arm Seated rows
8 reps @ plate 12
8 reps @ plate 14
5 reps @ plate 16
5 reps @ plate 17 equal to best effort

1-arm Pinwheelz
10 reps @ 20 kgs
10 reps @ 25 kgs
10 reps @ 27.5 kgs

I HAVE no idea what was wrong with me tonight. Ash said it was probably just my 'time of the month', which provoked a discussion about our menstrual cycles. Turns out Ash used to be synced with the rest of us, before he stopped showing up for training regularly and started wearing dresses more often.

I failed twice to get just one rep of the 50 kilo DB, where last week I hit 5 reps... I was actually intending to try for a 60 kilo 1RM after this. I was confidant I'd have it with a little push, if necessary. But this was fucked - everything felt weak and wrong. My shirt sleeve seemed to get int he way, my wrist wrap broke (lousy cheap piece of shit) and my grip on the dumbbell felt slick and uncertain. Just couldn't seem to get it. So, pretty pissed off, I took back the 40 and repped it out till I couldn't press any more (and nearly dropped it on my head with the tenth rep... making that one would have been almost as sweet as the 1RM at 60. But I didn't have that in me tonight either).

Retarded Shannons were performed using the 45 degree back raise / Roman chair thing tonight. Much harder, and I was pushing to full ROM (from parallel to floor through to fully upright). Not to mention... it's not really the same exercise. At all. Way more hamstring activation, and it just felt like I was doing a less impressive, suspended Good morning.

Another squat session tomorrow night. Oh goody.

No comments:

Post a Comment