Saturday, May 26, 2018

Events Saturday: The Rest of the Pull

I AM really happy about the fact that Thursday's hamstring 'pop' now feels like it was just a minor strain. I am walking and putting all my weight on it already. Kneeling feels a little weak, and full extension under load is also weak. But if it was something serious it wouldn't feel this good two days later. And so today I made sure I finished Thursday night's pull session.


The experience has reinforced something that needs addressing, namely my hamstring strength. I actually had a bit of a chat about it with Honeyburst during today's clinic. Because I don't squat regularly anymore and I also don't do any hamstring or glute-specific exercises in my weekly training, my lower body strength is not balanced.


And, yes, our newest member already has a handle. Chris' surname is Honeybun and he looks a whole lot like WSM athlete Robert Oberst. The nickname Honeyburst was an obvious one, and maybe the cleverest so far if I do say so myself.


The highlight of the day was those Hammer Strength leg extensions. Why? Coz, while I did them, I watched the Behemoth instruct Honeyburst in the log clean-press.


This was Chris' first proper session with this apparatus. I have programmed a fair amount of axle - both clean-press and strict overhead - for him since he joined the crew just about three weeks ago, and since Mick was already doing log today I figured it would be an opportune time for our newest member to try it out.


The Behemoth proved to be an excellent instructor. His technique was textbook, though I did have them clean from a little higher than normal to account for the mobility issues they both suffer from, to varying degrees. But with his help, in a few minutes Honeyburst was clean-pressing like he'd been doing it for months.


I've said it before; it is moments like this that I enjoy the most. This is how a winning team comes together.


The Rest of PULL+ Saturday May 26th
stretch
Meadows rows (l&r):
52.5 kg x 10
50 kg x 10
47.5 kg x 10
HS rows (p/h):
52.5 kg x 10
50 kg x 10
47.5 kg x 10
HS leg extensions (p/l):
10 kg x 3 x 15
Seated row machine (underhand):
full stack x 2 x 15
*scrapped 3rd set due to right bicep tendon issue
Face-pulls:
plate 11 x 3 x 20
super-set w/DB side raises (p/h):
12.5 kg x 3 x 10
10 kg x 10
Cardio:
assault bike 5 mins @ +50 rpm

No comments:

Post a Comment