Thursday, June 29, 2017

3 Crappy Sessions & a Squat PR

YEAH, we all have shit weeks. The last three training sessions have been, on the whole, not too great. Beginning with last Saturday's clinic. I'd billed myself as ready to hit a new 1RM personal record this day, foolishly not factoring in how fatigued I'd be from the 34 set press session I'd done just a couple of nights previous. This, no doubt, is why I struggled to strict press 110.

Conditioning is also not where I'd like it to be, but that's to be expected as I've not been training at close to my max when it comes to events for some time. That's all changing now. There is no need to stay in the slow lane anymore, so there will be more heavy yoke (and farmers walk) in future sessions.

On Monday I think I spent more time carrying 20 kilogram bumper plates around than I spent doing anything actually constructive. The calf injury I sustained a few weeks ago is still an issue; while pushing off on my left foot it became quite apparent that whatever I did there is still healing up. I didn't see the point in going heavier, so carried all them plates I didn't even use back inside, and went home.

Then there was Squats. Last night was both good and bad. Good, because I've never performed this many repetitions of 220 kilos in the one session before. Bad, because something in my right upper-inner thigh/groin region went 'pop' as I came up from the first rep of the third and final set. It was only a little 'pop', but it got me worried. Now is not the time to get a fresh injury. I racked the cambered bar and got on with the rest of the session.

Now is the time to re-work my pressing template so that I can focus on bench till September's Perth Cup, without shirking on my other strongman events so as to hopefully attain a competitive level come August's strongman state qualifiers. PTC Perth Strongman has a team entering this year's titles, and I may be there as more than just a coach.

SQUAT+ Wednesday June 28th
stretch
Cambered bar squats:
50 kgs x 10
90 kgs x 5
130 kgs x 3
170 kgs x 3
200 kgs x 2
220 kgs x 2 x 4 PR +1 - thigh/groin injury - still a PR
Axe swings (l&r):
plate 8 x 4 x 10
Cardio: assault bike 5 mins @ 50 rpm

EVENTS Monday June 26th
stretch
Prowler drag w/harness:
+ 100 kgs x 4 x 15 meters - calf injury still an issue

EVENTS Saturday June 24th
stretch
Cardio: assault bike 5 mins @ 50 rpm
Log clean-press (strict):
50 kgs x 8
70 kgs x 5
90 kgs x 1
100 kgs x 1
110 kgs x 1 - failed first attempt!
Yoke walk:
130 kgs x 2 x 20 meters
210 kgs x 20 meters
270 kgs x 20 meters
310 kgs x 20 meters
350 kgs x 17 meters - 1 drop - weak

No comments:

Post a Comment