Thursday, November 24, 2016

Press Thursday: So When Do We Squat?

REASONABLE question. Next week, I guess.


I'm somewhat ambivalent as the really great thing I've noticed post deadlifting on Tuesday is how I've had zero knee issues or thigh pain. The quad tears, by all indications, have healed, and over the last few weeks the persistent, possibly arthritic pain to my left patella has diminished to the point where it's now only sometimes an issue during sleep.


But the one thing that always manages to kill my knees is squatting, because I insist on squatting deep. There's no point squatting if you don't do it properly, and to do it properly requires hitting depth. Depending on how things feel I may make a fortnightly squat routine and alternate it with my press (assuming I can't make more time for a third weekday training session, and as the xmas break is coming up, that's a possibility), since I'm going to be doing more actual events training on Saturdays, which will include press variations.


But as far as tonight goes: solid, boring, the shoulder issue is still an issue... but I felt like I could keep doing those paused doubles of 125 for another few. The injury is holding me back, to what extent I'm just coming to terms with. It's possible I can keep doing paused doubles up to 150. I may try that and see how many I get.


Warmup:
DB shoulder mobility work,
scapula stretch w/band,
foam roller to quads,
BW squats x 10


Bench press:
75 kgs x 5
105 kgs x 2
125 kgs x 5 x doubles - all paused, TPR
85 kgs x 11 - max effort, touch & go


Hammer Strength chest press:
40 kgs p/h x 3 x 10


Seated DB OHP:
20 kgs p/h x 8
15 kgs p/h x 2 x 8


Face-pulls super-set w/DB front raises:
Plate 8 x 3 x 20
10 kgs p/h x 3 x 10


Tri-pushdowns:
Full stack x 25, 18

No comments:

Post a Comment