Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Squats: First Time in Wraps

SO I've had a crappy week.

After a disappointing and uncomfortable squat session last monday, April 22nd, I saw a doctor for a referral for an MRI of my hip. I also visited with my physio, whose treatment called for a bunch of needles to be shoved in my glute, upper quadricep and tensor fasciae latae, and jiggled around until I stopped spasming. It was fun. They were the big ones he got in special, typically used on horses.

His assessment was that my injury was to the TFL and not the hip, and he suggested I rest the next few days and squat if things were feeling better the following Monday. Monday came, and this time scheduling (and public transport) hassles kept me out of the gym for yet another day, so my squat session was postponed to Tuesday night. And here it is.


*hip warmup*

Squats w/cambered bar
12 reps @ 30 kgs
8 reps @ 70 kgs
5 reps @ 110 kgs
3 reps @ 150 kgs
1 reps @ 190 kgs
3 reps @ 210 kgs PR

Good mornings
8 reps @ 70 kgs
5 reps @ 100 kgs
3 reps @ 120 kgs
1 reps @ 140 kgs
8 reps @ 160 kgs TPR

SEVERAL things went wrong with my M.E. squat. The single of 190 before it was totally raw, proper depth and felt strong. So I was surprised at how the belt actually seemed more constricting than helpful tonight... though I admit I didn't spend long on getting it positioned correctly.

The big guy who rushed in to assist with my last rep is Shannon. I didn't need Shannon, I was just slow in getting up there. Shannon did my wraps, and while I have absolutely no point of comparison as I've never worn proper wraps before, I can tell you he knows how to apply knee wraps tightly. I can also tell you that Shannon is a girl's name, but you would never, ever say this to his face.

I took too long to get ready once the wraps were finished, and then I rushed my setup. And then I did some shitty squats at a weight that was still a new personal record for me, but not by very much... and, considering I performed 5 reps of 200 kilos with a belt last year (with about the same fucking form), this PR is a stat, not a true accomplishment.

Afterwards, I did bust out a technical PR with the GMs, which were all solid depth. I felt I could have done another two... but didn't want to push it. So all in all a good session.

The fact that I've never used wraps before is, of course, a major reason why things didn't go according to plan tonight in the squats department. But I have a very good feeling about squatting with these Gripped wraps in the future.

I'm looking forward to OHPress tomorrow night.

No comments:

Post a Comment