Monday, May 28, 2012

Squat Monday: Arrival at the RAW Two-Hundy Club

Squats w/cambered bar
8 reps @ 70 kgs
6 reps @ 110 kgs
5 reps @ 150 kgs
3 reps @ 180 kgs PR
2 reps @ 200 kgs PR

Good Mornings w/cambered bar
8 reps @ 30 kgs
5 reps @ 70 kgs
5 reps @ 110 kgs
1 reps @ 150 kgs - shit depth, felt awful
5 reps @ 130 kgs

Pull-ups
7, 6, 5 reps @ BW

I worked in with a mate this evening who has lately been a real fan of the cambered bar so the Mastodon took a break. I was fired up, still (still!!) coughing up green shit and sniffling, both pissed off at my continued half-assery in the squats department and buoyed by Saturday's CNS collapse. Nothing weighing a measly 200 kilos could hurt me.

In addition to this, I did something new tonight. I saw too many people either not hitting depth - or at least being disqualified for not hitting depth - at the West Australian Powerlifting Championships held yesterday at the Pit. I'm not even a Powerlifter (right now...), but the squat is a Strongman event and I didn't want to be at a disadvantage from getting too accustomed to the box, so I removed it. What followed were some of the most comfortable squats I'd ever performed.

Now, it wasn't, in retrospect, ass to grass. People, rightly or wrongly, take ATG to mean literally ass hitting the ground. I do not think I can do that, given my present physique... not to mention complete lack of experience with performing squats to this depth. But I was sinking below where the box would stop me, and the bottom of the movement felt more comfortable and stable than it ever has before! So I went for 200. Got it twice.

Laying up tomorrow and hitting OHPress Wednesday night. Looking forward to some good ole leg DOMs in about 36 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment