Monday, July 2, 2018

Press, Pull & Press Again: Quaid Resurfaces

WITH the current state of my body, hypertrophy has become the primary focus of my last few sessions. I have yet to write up an actual template for this approach because it is, or at least was intended to be, only temporary. Like, a month at most. But now I'm considering running with it for a full 2 or 3 month program before I get back into heavy strongman events.

I am now doing axe-swings with each session in an effort to counter what I am experiencing with Quaid. On Wednesday the 20th June - the second last week in my axle and bench press program - I was unable to press a 120 kilogram axle for a single rep. I'd pressed it for a double at the end of my last template in mid-March.

Prior to this session, I'd developed a violent, hacking cough that I couldn't shake for a couple of weeks. It got to the point where I was experiencing a stabbing pain in my solar plexus each time I coughed or sneezed.

And now I was feeling like I'd lost some core stability. Later in the session, as I lay down on the bench and un-racked 60, my abdomen felt loose and distended. More so. I palpated my stomach and could feel Quaid extending further down to my belly button. After some disappointing and uncomfortable benching I ended the session.

From this week onwards, axle strict overhead press will be replaced with clean-press. It's time to get more strongman-specific movements into my regular training. Fingers crossed Quaid can be placated a little while longer. I really don't know what to do about him, other than wait for him to fully herniate so I can then have surgery.

PULL Hypertrophy Tuesday June 26th
stretch
Deadlifts:
75 kg x 10
110 kg x 3 x 10
Meadows rows (l&r):
32.5 kg x 3 x 20
HS seated rows (p/h):
32.5 kg x 3 x 20
Seated row machine (underhand):
full stack x 3 x 10
Super-set w/Axe-swings (l&r):
plate 8 x 3 x 10
Face-pulls:
plate 11 x 3 x 20
super-set w/DB side raises (p/h):
10 kg x 3 x 10

PRESS Hypertrophy Thursday June 28th
stretch
Axle clean-press:
40 kg x 10
60 kg x 10
75 kg x 5
Bench press (paused):
60 kg x 5
85 kg x 15
Incline barbell press:
65 kg x 3 x 12
DB front raises (p/h):
12.5 kg x 3 x 10
super-set w/Axe-swings (l&r):
plate 8 x 3 x 10
HS chest press (p/h):
22.5 kg x 3 x 10
super-set w/HS bicep curls (l&r):
15 kg x 3 x 10

No comments:

Post a Comment