Friday, June 15, 2018

Squat Wednesday & Pull Thursday

IT'S AMAZING the difference good sleep can make. This last week my Fitbit has been recording six- to nearly eight-hour periods of solid, mostly uninterrupted sleep per night. This is a marked improvement from the last... couple of months, in fact. It must be the new CPAP mask.

With rediscovered zeal I returned to the gym Wednesday night for some high volume squats. This was a mistake, all things considered, as my right knee got progressively more painful through the second set of 14 reps. I had to stop at 10. But there was no lasting pain or fluid, which suggests I just need another dry needling.

While chatting with the PTCSM crew, Wonderboy suggested that I switch things up a bit (since my hammie was still inhibiting me) and drop the weight in favour of higher rep ranges. I took this idea and ran with it. Fuck it, I thought to myself, I've never programmed 20 reps sets of anything other than overhead press, when I was working through a sticking point. Why not try for maximum hypertrophy with my rows and stuff also? Add this to the 15-20 rep sets I am now doing on various other movements, and it's starting to look more like a body builder's routine.

Preparing for gains LOL.

I was also given a reminder about why I never do dumbbell side raises while completely upright. Just like dips, the lack of cartilage in my right shoulder makes them quite painful.

PULL+ Thursday - interim hypertrophy routine wk1
stretch
Deadlifts:
75 kg x 10
100 kg x 3 x 10
Meadows rows (l&r):
30 kg x 3 x 20
HS seated rows (p/h):
30 kg x 2 x 20 - right forearm issue
seated row machine (underhand):
full stack x 3 x 10
HS leg extensions (p/h):
15 kg x 3 x 15
Face-pulls:
plate 11 x 3 x 20
super-set w/DB standing* side raises (p/h):
10 kg x 3 x 10
* never perform these upright!

SQUAT Wednesday June 13th
stretch
Squats w/cambered bar:
50 kg x 10
90 kg x 5
110 kg x 14, 10

No comments:

Post a Comment