Tuesday, August 15, 2017

PULL+ Tuesday: Moment of Truth

PEOPLE who know me know how much I enjoy deadlifting heavy. It's something I haven't been able to do all year. I am certain people are also tired of reading me harp on about this injury that's blighted most of my year, as far as competing is concerned.

What people don't know, coz it's not something I've ever been moved to write about before, is that my family don't support what I do. After this last injury, where friends and relative strangers were offering words of encouragement on social media, my own mother called me up one morning and told me to quit. We haven't spoken since.

These last six months haven't just been rehabilitation. The first 30 years of my life I wasn't a lifter. In my mind I fought a steady stream of reasoned arguments for quitting this life and returning to the person I used to be. The defeatist in me could have won.

Instead, I trained harder and longer. I ate bigger. I programmed smarter. I started out with the measly 1 kilogram bicep curls that the surgeon prescribed, six weeks after the surgery itself. This was March. Fucking March, I was a fat weak 130 kilograms. In March, people who know what they're talking about told me to expect it to take a year or more to come back to full strength. I did it in half that time.

Tonight I pulled 305 like a warmup, because it was. I'm getting warmed up for Perth Cup.

350 falls in September.

https://www.facebook.com/abaddon.quinn/videos/vb.1223146239/10213942492136087/?type=2&theater&notif_t=video_processed&notif_id=1502810353742162

PULL+ Tuesday August 15th
Stretch
Deadlifts:
70 kgs x 10
120 kgs x 5
170 kgs x 5
220 kgs x 3
250 kgs x 1
275 kgs x 1
305 kgs x 1
Bent-over BB rows (overhand):
105 kgs x 3 x 10
HS seated rows (p/h, neutral):
65 kgs x 4 x 8
Seated rows (underhand):
full stack x 3 x 10
Meadows rows (l&r):
40 kgs x 4 x 10
super-set w/Face-pulls:
plate 10 x 4 x 20
hardlio cardio: assault bike 30 seconds @ +80 rpm

No comments:

Post a Comment