Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Pull+ Tuesday: Calling It

I'M CALLING it. It is time to scrap this program.

Reasons:
* On deficits, I couldn't even complete all 8 reps of the first set double overhand; I swapped over for the final rep, just like last session. So the chances of me completing one set of 8 at 200 kilos are nil.

* I managed the first two sets of meadows rows, but the range of motion was not sufficient on the second. Combined with a developing tendon strain, I couldn't see much value in continuing them.

* I am running out of time to maximise my deadlift before the Perth Cup. On the whole, things are going pretty awesomely... but I should devote more time prepping for September. Just as I've transitioned to the straight bar for squats and will be hitting heavy, paused doubles and triples on bench from here on out, it's also time to make my pulls comp-specific.

This program, which is now approaching failure, has lasted a long time and is definitely one of my more successful templates. I wrote it entirely by myself, where in the past I've either followed instruction from my former coach, Joel McCaughan, or taken advice from Joel (and other people I trust) in formulating my own. This time I honestly felt like I knew, from the outset, what needed to be done and how best to do it. I started with one kilogram bicep curls and cambered bar squats in mid-March, after six weeks of doing nothing post-surgery. People in the know told me I should expect to take a year or more to return to strength after a tendon reattachment.

Well, that was a little over seven months ago. Now my overhead press is stronger than it's ever been, my squat is stronger than it's ever been, and soon I'll be able to say my deadlift is stronger than it's ever been. I'm also heavier (140 kgs), feeling healthier (60 bpms resting heart rate) and I reckon looking better (26% body fat) than I have, ever.

It's not all good news: my strongman events have gone to shit while I've been developing my static abilities, and the ones least worked due to their direct activation of the biceps (like farmers walk, atlas stones and various axle movements) are also mongst my favourites. But with that hip injury no longer bothering me, I can see a return to events training just around the corner...

I'd better turn that corner quick if I want to compete in SM this year too.

PULL+ Tuesday August 8th
Stretch
Deficit deadlifts:
70 kgs x 6
120 kgs x 4
150 kgs x 3
180 kgs x 3 x 8 PR
Bent-over BB rows (overhand):
70 kgs x 8
100 kgs x 5
115 kgs x 2 x 8
HS seated rows (p/h):
62.5 kgs x 4 x 8 - accidentally did 10 reps 1st set
Seated row machine (underhand):
full stack x 3 x 8
Meadows rows (l&r):
52.5 kgs x 2 x 6 PR
super-set w/Facepulls:
plate 10 x 4 x 20

No comments:

Post a Comment