Monday, July 17, 2017

PULL+ Saturday: A Week Down

WHEN I arrived that Saturday Kong already had the platform and axle setup and was diligently working his clean-press alone. The rest of the crew were no-shows today, but that doesn't mean they've been slacking. Half of them are committed to competing in the WA Strongman qualifier, August 5th: 'Wonderboy' Steve did his training earlier in the day due to family stuff, and Alec 'The Technician' has been hitting it really hard lately (following a rigorous template made for him by Carl 'The Lion'), so I was not surprised to note his absence. Same went for Mick, who put in some awesome work the weekend before. At his current rate of development, I've told him, it wouldn't be a bad idea for him to enter the competition as a novice heavyweight.

As for me, I've fallen a week behind. As I write this it's Monday evening, and I've not so long ago had a late therapy session at Body Genius. It was my first visit since January 2015! Since my (sorely missed) physiotherapist, Dominique, left for New Zealand I've not had any regular treatment, and as I'm planning on competing again soon, this session has been long overdue.

To complicate matters, I'm fairly sure I've torn the labrum in my left hip... I don't even know when it happened. I would guess it was while squatting, but the pain and loss of mobility didn't really register until the start of last week. As the week progressed, it became more of an issue. Getting in and out of my car became painful - a familiar pain. I tore the labrum in my right hip early 2013. On that occasion I was squatting with a cambered bar, my right arm in a sling. It tore a little bit due to the awkward position I was in, accommodating the sling while trying to squat to depth.

I was supposed to squat again last week. That did not happen, for obviously. Actually nothing got done through the week, so I used the Saturday to catch up on my pulling (thankfully the injury does not affect my deadlift!). Tomorrow it's time to press again. I've missed a week, but to be honest I think it was worth taking the extra down time to let what can, heal.

PULL+ Saturday July 15th
stretch
Deficit deadlifts:
70 kgs x 8
110 kgs x 5
140 kgs x 4 x 8
Bent-over barbell rows:
*left wrist still fucked, o/hand again
100 kgs x 5
100 kgs x 3 x 8
HS seated rows (p/h):
55 kgs x 4 x 10
Meadows rows (l&r):
45 kgs x 4 x 8
super-set w/Face-pulls:
plate 10 x 4 x 20

No comments:

Post a Comment