Saturday, July 8, 2017

Press+ Friday: Almost Comp Ready, Already

ANOTHER punishing press routine, done.

I was so low on energy, after my first money set on bench I sat down and ate two chocolate bars. I felt better. I did anther set, and then ate a third chocolate bar, which made me feel better still. If I carried cash with me more often, this might become a problem.

Highlights of the session: 1. I finally got a reasonable base point for my incline bench press, so I can write a more intelligent scheme for that going forward, although it's always going to be difficult to assess my ability in this movement when performing it after near-max work on bench and overhead. Truthfully I just want to incline press 140 for reps, like I was doing in 2015. And 2. I finally completed all prescribed reps on french press.

Lowlights: my left shoulder was bugging me throughout. Not just bursitis... I messed something up during last weekend's clinic when I was axle clean-pressing. Nothing major, but the front raises were a bitch to perform so I kept the weight low and dropped the final set.

But, of course, the biggest highlight is this: I detached a goddamn bicep tendon in January. It's now July, and I'm already on track to compete again come September. Maybe even earlier. I'm heavier than I've ever been, as a strength athlete, and by the time this epic three month program is over I will be squatting, benching and deadlifting on form once more.

PRESS+ Friday July 7th
Stretch
Bench press:
bar x 10
60 kgs x 5
95 kgs x 3
115 kgs x 3 x 8
Axle OHP (strict):
40 kgs x 8
70 kgs x 4 x 8
45 Incline BB press:
60 kgs x 3
70 kgs x ME 10
DB front raises (p/h):
7.5 kgs x 10
10 kgs x 2 x 10 - left shoulder issue, scrapped 4th set
Seated french press:
25 kgs x 4 x 10
superset w/Triceps pushdowns:
full stack x 4 x 20
HS chest press (p/h):
40 kgs x 3 x 8
40 kgs x 7 - so close!
superset w/HS bicep curls (l&r):
12.5 kgs x 4 x 10

No comments:

Post a Comment