Friday, June 17, 2016

Week 3: Squat Friday!

RIGHT now I need to just stop pretending I can manage to make it to the gym on the same nights each week. At the start of this program I decided to squat and bench Tuesdays and Thursdays, with deadlifts performed during the clinic on Saturdays. And then circumstance changed, again, and caused me to completely abandon this schedule right after making it. I will be very happy when this financial year is over.

With the exception of my deadlifts (which have been held back due to my recently fractured right ankle), I've performed all my money sets thus far... and even managed some assistance work here and there. And here I should make a disclaimer to my trainees (and anyone else who might be considering adopting my training routine); No. If you want a program I will write you one. But don't assume the stuff I sporadically do, or fail to do, should be optional all the time. I have been despondently training around a variety of injuries for the better part of a year and it shows in my log of half-assed sessions.

I'm really happy to report that my knees are still feeling great. I've started taking a bunch of new dietary supplements including green lipped mussel extract and digestive enzymes, I've been more diligent than ever with my fish oil, taking 20 grams a day, every day, and (since it's too cold to use the spa) the quad stretches I do post-training are all having a positive effect.

While the bar is getting more comfortable on my back and my squats are getting deeper and more confident, my shoulder is screwed. Again. It's pretty much back to how it was late last year. I am just hoping that if I can keep my bench narrow as hell I will be able to put up something decent on the day.

Thank you to the guys who spotted and worked the mono for me tonight.

Stretch
DB super-set supine curls & rotators: 4 kgs x 2s x 10r

Squats:
25 kgs x 10
80 kgs x 5
130 kgs x 3
155 kgs x 1
180 kgs x 4s x 4r TPR

That's all she wrote. Home, to sit on my shins and eat Porkies till I collapse.

No comments:

Post a Comment