Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Press+ Wednesday: Time to Heal

THESE last two weeks have been eventful.

Training has comprised a series of poor, interrupted performances. I thought I'd strained a butt muscle during a deadlift session (a common thing for me, especially when walking yoke on a regular basis) and I experienced some right elbow and shoulder pain while pressing that same week, so I cut each session short and got thoroughly needled.

But as I entered the second week of stalled progress, what I thought was a typical glute strain revealed itself to be hip-related, and so not something that was going to go away any time soon. At first I thought I could still compete at Pro Raw but I reconsidered after weighing my options. What would be the point of spending the coin to go over and perform sub-par in the one lift I'm good at, just to come back to the same rehab and related nuisance I am dealing with now? It would be a waste of my resources and efforts, and only make the injury worse in the process.

My last press session was also crap thanks to whatever I'd managed to do to my right arm while playing around with Wonderboy's monster dumbbell on the weekend. While I managed to grind out four strict overhead reps of a 110 kilo axle they were ugly as hell and I wanted to do better. I did another two reps after a minute's rest which were even worse. And then the elbow pain just wouldn't quit while benching. Another half-finished session under the belt.

110 kilo Axle strict OHP x 4, 2

Perturbed, I came in last Saturday determined to do something worthwhile. I had intended squats, just to test the hip out and see if I could get a better idea of what did and didn't trigger it. But, after ten brisk minutes on the stationary bike, walking around was triggering it just fine.

My next steps are to get my GP to refer me for an MRI and to write up a new program that will allow me to work about the hip issue while staying as strong as possible. Did somebody say stiff-legged deadlifts?

200 kilo Stiff legged deadlifts x 7

PRESS+ Wednesday February 21st
stretch
Axle OHP (strict)
30 kgs x 10
65 kgs x 5
95 kgs x 3
110 kgs x 5 PR
Bench press (paused):
60 kgs x 5
90 kgs x 3
110 kgs x 9 - should have tried for 10
Incline press:
90 kgs x 8, 8, 7
EZ-bar skull-crushers:
42.5 kgs x 8, 8, 7
super-set w/Triceps pushdowns:
full stack x 10, 10, 8
DB front raises (p/h):
12.5 kgs x 3 x 10
HS chest press (p/h):
52.5 kgs x 8, 7, 5
super-set w/HS bicep curls (l&r):
20 kgs x 3 x 10
Cardio:
bike 5 minutes @ +50 rpm

No comments:

Post a Comment