Thursday, August 25, 2016

Squat Thursday: Clawed Back & Forging Forward

TONIGHT I proved to myself that I have not yet become the victim of entropy. That, in spite of the year I have had, I've held to my ethos. Life sometimes can be too many shades of grey, but here under the bar is the resolute truth that I am stronger.


When I squatted 250 - my best ever squat, meagre as it is - I was a super heavyweight, competing at CAPO states in the 140+ kilogram division. Tonight I'm a bare naked 128, and moved the same weight... with not quite IPF depth, as Ando had put it earlier, but good enough. Last session I hit my best deadlift on record at under 140. And I have some time left for one last tweak of each lift before game day.


I wasn't thinking straight when I said to Ando that tonight would be my last squat before Perth Cup (gym brain in full effect, as usual), but I'm nearly there; tonight was my second last. To allow for maximum recovery and minimum chance of re-injury I have decided on a window of no earlier than Monday 5th and no later than Friday 9th September to attempt 260. If I feel shitty on the day, it may only be 255. Regardless, it's a new level of strength and a leaner me.


Only took me about a year of unsuccessfully managing two injuries and stupidly causing myself a third. But I'm there. I've clawed back, now it's time to forge ahead.


Squats:
25 kgs x 10
80 kgs x 8
130 kgs x 5
170 kgs x 3
210 kgs x 1
230 kgs x 1
250 kgs x 1 equal to best ever


Hammer Strength leg extensions:
40 kgs x 4 x 10


Hammer Strength seated calf raises:
65 kgs x 4 x 10

No comments:

Post a Comment