Monday, July 29, 2013

The First Deadlift Monday

warmup w/DBs and band

Deadlifts                 
90 kgs x 10
130 kgs x 8
170 kgs x 5
210 kgs x 3
225 kgs x 1
240 kgs x 9 PR

Pinwheelz
15 kgs x 10
22.5 kgs x 10
27.5 kgs x 8

LOOK how happy I was about getting seven reps at this weight in early May. Nine is better. That's all that matters.

Here's where my new programming really begins. It was very nearly not going to happen tonight, and to be honest if I've escaped a further lumbar strain it'll be a lucky thing. Deadlifting above 200 felt dangerous, and I was really glad when I could safely say progression had been made and I could put it down. I've not felt this way in training for a long time. I'm close to burning out.

And this is also where my new programming is going to assist in my active recovery; with the exception of bench press and some dumbbell work on Wednesday, the rest of my week involves minimal weight, and high to very high rep ranges. Increments are tiny over the next couple of months (2.5 kgs p/week on overhead press, 5 kgs p/week on squats) and going forward I will be fresher for deadlifting at the start of the week, and Strongman events training on the weekend. Not this weekend though. Definitely more recovery time is needed before I can start in with heavy yoke and farmers again.

As I said, I felt like I'd pushed it far enough tonight, so I did a few sets of pinwheelz (for tha ladeez) and took off. It's better than nothing. And it's a damn sight better than training till I re-injure myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment