Saturday, July 27, 2019

Template 2, Week 14: More Solid Squats

EVEN with the de-load, it feels like I'm reaching the end of my overhead press template. I'm likely going to drop the weight and go for massive volume as from next week. I'll ride the clean-press for another few weeks, before that reaches it's end also. Then it will be time to hit up Kelvin for some instruction, I reckon.


While my press is petering out, my squat continues to improve. I had another great session Saturday. My best ever squat still stands at 250 kilograms: 250 with a competition barbell at CAPO states in 2015, 250 again (and again with a competition barbell) a little over a year later, and more recently, 240 with an axle late 2018. The frequency of training and the relatively low volume repetitions are proving to be just right, allowing me to progress without knee issues. Everything is on track for a new one rep max sometime this year, and I'll continue setting new personal records along the way.


Right after squats I made the snap decision to deadlift... not something I've ever done before (or likely will again), but I threw it in there to give my right arm more underhand pulling experience. I've been pulling double-overhand up till now and I didn't want to suddenly jump back into my current deadlift program using alternate grip. Also, relying on straps at this stage would be weaksauce.


All things considered, it's been a pretty good week. EDIT: and I've thrown in some screen grabs from my Fitbit stats, as they are more evidence of healthy progression. My resting heart rate - which ordinarily hovers in the high 60s - has gradually slowed to the low 60s, and I burned another 6,500 calories on Saturday, which is my second best recording for a training day since July 6th. More sessions like this are to come. The DOMS from Saturday is going to be memorable.

Another good Saturday
Successfully lowered heart rate

EVENTS Week 14, Template 2 - Saturday July 27thAxle squats:
50 kg x 10
90 kg x 5
110 kg x 3
130 kg x 3
150 kg x 2
170 kg x 1
190 kg x 4 x 4 PR
Deadlifts:
70 kg x 5
100 kg x 5
130 kg x 5
160 kg x 5
Zercher carry w/yoke:
115 kg x 4 x 2 x 10 meters


PRESS Week 14, Template 2 - Tuesday July 23rd
Axle OHP (strict):
20 kg x 10
50 kg x 5
70 kg x 3
80 kg x 1
90 kg x 1
100 kg x 1
105 kg x 4, 3 FAIL
Incline barbell press:
50 kg x 5
70 kg x 4
90 kg x 3 x 60
Skull crushers w/mini swiss bar:
29 kg x 3 x 10
Preacher curls w/EZ bar:
19 kg x 15, 10
DB front raises (p/h):
10 kg x 3 x 10
Cardio:
Assault bike 5 mins @ +55 rpm

No comments:

Post a Comment