Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Press Tuesday: Close-Grip or Bust

JUST to confirm that conventional benching is no longer an option for me (at least for the foreseeable future), I widened my grip for one working set tonight. Not all the way back; just a centimetre or so. The shoulder pain became an issue immediately, and I struggled to complete the set of five. I rested, returned to close-grip, and performed the remaining sets with much greater ease. Even did a fifth set, which I'd half expected I wouldn't be able to complete when I wrote the program.


I am going to have to swap out the Hammer Strength shoulder press for a free-weight press variation; the fixed plane (or is it fixed arc) of motion always manages to mess with the shoulder. The chest press, not nearly so much.


I'm looking forward to my pull routine Thursday night. I worked in with the crew on Saturday doing stiff-legged deads while they were doing conventional, and I started in on log and, later, farmers walk, each time remembering that I'm not supposed to do any of that shit for the next month and a half.


Fucking weak.


Stretch & BW squats


DB press:
20 kgs x 10


Bench press:
70 kgs x 8
90 kgs x 3
110 kgs x 5 x 5 TPR


HS shoulder press:
45 kgs p/h x 5
40 kgs p/h x 8
35 kgs x 6


HS chest press:
35 kgs x 3 x 10


DB front raises:
10 kgs x 3 x 10


super-set with


Triceps pushdowns:
full stack x 20, 15, 10

No comments:

Post a Comment