Monday, May 30, 2016

'Inadvisable' is a Stupid Word

DON'T get me started on what's 'inadvisable.' I'd spent enough time doing nothing this month... my ankle felt good enough to walk on and my conditioning, after all this time sitting, was in the shitter. So why not put 210 on the yoke and walk it over and over again, till I felt like puking? I'd actually intended on walking the 270 for four but I had trouble lowering my heart rate... I jumped on the assault bike for five minutes at low rpm but it didn't want to settle down so I left it there. I took solace in the fact that, as inadvisable as it may have been, my ankle handled the loading just fine. Next time it'll be 300... or more. And I'll continue belt-less for as long as I can.

I've made some changes to my program as I'm currently only able to commit to training two nights per week.  So Tuesdays and Thursdays it will be for the time being. It's probably inadvisable, but I'm also setting my sights on competing in the Perth Cup in September, so fingers crossed I can get my bench back up to the 180 mark between then and now. Squats... anything goes with squats. My best is 250. Let's see what happens if I aim for an inadvisable new 1-rep max. My deadlift will be trained Saturdays during the clinic, and I'm less concerned about programming for it at this time. I have plenty of weak points to focus on.

Events Saturday May 28th
Yoke walk:
130 kgs x 20 meters x 2
210 kgs x 20 meters x 6
270 kgs x 20 meters x 2
Cardio: bike 5 minutes @ 50 rpm

The template is a work in progress. I've not fully regained flexibility in my right ankle and I'm really hoping that this isn't too steep a gradient. I've structured the loading a little differently in the squat and deadlift but the bench is simpler, and considering how weakened I still am on my left side, pretty daunting. Which is not to say that attempting a 275 squat isn't daunting. But right now that feels more manageable than the prospect of repping a 150+ bench in two months.

No comments:

Post a Comment