Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Wednesday - Session Interrupted

Today at my new job I decided to take advantage of the gym facilities.

Push Press
5 reps @ 80 kgs
3 reps @ 90 kgs
3 reps @ 80 kgs

Bench Press
7 reps @ 100 kgs
4 reps @ 110 kgs
1 reps @ 120 kgs

Deadlifts
3 reps @ 160 kgs
3 reps @ 170 kgs

...and here is where I stopped.

It was lunch time, which is when employees like myself can use the gym as it doesn't conflict with any classes being conducted. But there were still 2 or 3 students workingout in front of the mirrors. I was minding my own business for the most part - one of the students asked me if I wanted a spot while benching, and some time later he and I also discussed oblique abs training and related shit.

But the minor drama occurred while I was deadlifting.

The same student saw me lifting the 170 and remarked "I could do that but my grip isn't strong enough". I suggested he look into static holds to improve grip strength. I find this generally goes down better than telling someone the grip for lifting heavy fucking weight comes from lifting heavy fucking weight... not that 170 kgs is at all heavy, but I digress.

It was at this moment that one of the PTs working there walked in the room. "Hey big fella, we don't have a lifting platform. Put it down gently."

Put it down gently. Has the guy ever even deadlifted before?

Since I couldn't continue going heavier I cut the session short and hit the shower. After lunch, I asked my boss about the possibility of getting us a weightlifting platform.

Put it down gently. Jezuz.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxXnum6xV98
^Found this vid while looking for a platform supplier. Of course, there are none over here in WA. I will ask the SMWA crew this weekend, but a big fat interstate
freight bill seems inevitable... unless I build it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment