Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Starting 2023 Under 123

I HAVEN'T been this light since my late twenties. Here's a brief summary of weight fluctuations over my lifetime:
 
1997 (age 17) March:
Weighed 113 kilograms just after my birthday; the heaviest I'd ever been. By the end of the school year I'd lost 45 kilos and, at six foot three, weighed an emaciated 68. I did this by eating a bowl of cereal for breakfast, a bowl of rice and steamed vegetables for dinner, smoking cigarettes through the day and reluctantly playing sport and jogging occasionally. I evened out at 70-73, which I maintained for a few years.

2001-03 (age 21-23):
Weighed between 90 and 94 kilograms after a year or two of training almost only upper body but at least being consistent with it, as well as working a physically demanding job and walking everywhere, since I had no car. I had no real idea what I was doing in the gym, but what I was doing had produced a decent physique, for a few years anyway.

2010 (age 30) December:
Weighed somewhere over 150 kilograms. I didn't know for sure since the bathroom scales I owned topped out at 150, then would read 'ERR' and switch off. It had been a good seven years since I'd done anything you could call 'working out', with or without a clue. Turns out depression can make you sit on your ass and drink a whole lot, and sometimes remains undiagnosed till well into adulthood.

2011 (age 31) June:
Weighed about 145, with minor progress made after approximately fifteen months of working out in my modest home gym. This was the month I began training strongman.

2012 (age 32) May
Weighed 125 after less than a year of busting my ass with WA Strongman.

2015 (age 35) May:
Walking around at 135 kilograms most of the year after intentionally ballooning up to just over 140 in May, so I could compete in the super heavyweight division at the GPC and CAPO state powerlifting championships.
 
2023 (age 42) Yesterday:
Weighed in at exactly 125 kilograms about ten o/clock yesterday morning. After about eleven hours of miscellaneous chores and gardening, minor backyard improvements and home renovations (built a home made fire pit, took down some shelves, put up some other shelves, painted and varnished some stuff, accidentally set a bin on fire), I weighed 122.45 kilograms. I haven't been this light in fifteen years. Since beginning my strength journey in 2010, the lowest I ever dieted down to was a smidgen under 125.

As I stated late last year: 2023 is the year I break new ground. I intend to be leaner, stronger, more skilled and disciplined than I have ever been. I'm already within three kilograms of my first goal. From there, it's going to get even harder, for every five kilos is more difficult to lose than the five before it, and at some point my body will begin 'recomping' again.

This is the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment