Sunday, May 21, 2017

Pull+ Sunday: Cold Introspection

WHAT'S that saying about the best-laid plans? I had my new template finalised and was eager to get it underway when the cold struck and laid me up for half the week. But it has given me time to ponder the possibility of reprising my story... and the only reason I'm even thinking on this subject right now is thanks to the spectre of my high school's 20 year reunion in October, bringing it all back.


When I was thirteen I started writing a story; a horror story. I never finished it. It grew in complexity over the years, but I never saw an ending to it. I just kept building the characters and sub-plots. A stand-alone chunk of it I worked into a novella called 'Buried Vengeance', and paid an editor to look over. I remember having only had my P plates a few months when I drove out to Fremantle to see her and get feedback. In short, it wasn't very good. I still had a bunch to learn about narrative structure; how to use correct tense and flashbacks effectively. The novel, and 'Buried Vengeance' were thrown in a dusty drawer and forgotten about while I tackled early adulthood as a forklift operator, with a Marlboro red in one hand and a can of Export in the other.


I reprised the story at twenty-two, as a mature-age undergraduate at Curtin university. There I reworked the original handful of chapters, plus several new pieces, which served as short stories for my creative writing unit. It still never reached a conclusion, and eventually the story and it's new pieces were returned to that dusty drawer.


That was fifteen years ago. And now, for the first time since, I'm thinking this is something I need to complete. Not let it be just like the other pieces of art that I began and never finished. I want to be able to say that I took a real shot at becoming the actual, published novelist I aspired a lifetime ago to be.


PULL+ Sunday May 21st
cardio: assault bike 5 minutes @ 50 rpm
stretch w/foam roller


Deficit deadlifts:
70 kgs x 4 x 10


Bent-over barbell rows (underhand):
70 kgs x 4 x 10


Meadows rows (l&r):
25 kgs x 4 x 10


HS seated rows (p/h):
45 kgs x 2 x 10
40 kgs x 2 x 10


super-set w/Face-pulls:
plate 9 x 4 x 20


Axe-swings (l&r):
plate 6 x 4 x 10

No comments:

Post a Comment