Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Press Wednesday: A(nother) Reset

THREE weeks to the night of my stupid and costly mistake I stumbled back into the gym and tried to bench. I'm now out of the boot and wearing a 'sports wrap' ankle brace. This is against the doctor's advice, of course, but the last twenty days of hopping around on crutches, showering sitting down and keeping my leg elevated the rest of the time was driving me batshit crazy. Two or three more weeks of this shit? Give me a break. So I took a calculated risk.

My finger is another matter. It's now in a carbon fibre cast which usually stays on but can't be relied upon when I'm trying to do stuff. The deal with the injury is thus; the tendon was not completely severed and should heal providing I can keep it straight for two months. If the finger curls over before the two months are up, it will be back to day one and have to keep it in the cast a further two months.

Annoying. But I found a way to minimise the risk of re-injury. Now, I wouldn't tout these as great new uses for Fat Gripz, but my trusty pair of Extremes really came in handy, both while I was quadrupedal and tonight during my session; I added them to just about all of my bar and dumbbell work. If I stick with the axle for deadlifts and my Extremes for everything else, the next six weeks will be training weeks. How intense they will be is the question.




Cardio: assault bike 5 minutes HIIT
rpm's: 60/40/60/40/60
DB super-set rotators & supine curls: 4 kgs x 2 x 10
Stretch

Bench press:
DB 15 kgs x 10
60 kgs x 8
90 kgs x 5
110 kgs x 3 x 5

Pinwheels:
15 kgs x 3 x 10

DB forward raises:
10 kgs x 3 x 10

Not gonna lie; for all the time I've had off, tonight I still felt lethargic. Hoping it's just been an off day. If I train tomorrow night it'll be more upper body work. I might try some of those DB variations with my overhead press that I've not included in my routines for a long time. I need to find more movements I can perform that don't aggravate my (now, I guess, permanently) damaged left shoulder. It's been nearly nine months since I sustained the injury and, while it's getting stronger, it hurts every time I bench and every time I squat.

Next week I deadlift.

No comments:

Post a Comment