Friday, November 16, 2018

Press+ Thursday: Still Getting Stronger

THIS was another solid training session, despite the couple of movements I could not perform to completion, or not at all. I had planned to assess how my strain was healing with an easy five by five of the log, unloaded, but I couldn't complete all sets without aggravating it further and so moved on to strict axle overhead press.

This was a significant new personal record broken. I'd previously managed seven reps of 95 kilograms on January 23rd of this year, and 110 kilograms for three triples two weeks before that. My best and heaviest is four reps of 115 on March 7th and a double of 120 (almost but not quite a triple!) March 17th, also this year. At this rate I'll be strict pressing 125 or more in a few weeks.

Also scrapped was Zercher carry with the yoke, though I intend to keep these as a regular part of my training. I'll be going for a new personal record in this event just as soon as my current injury allows. At least now I think I have a better understanding of my adductor's role in many of the exercises and events I train, and how important it is to stretch these out before each training session also. I do my quads, glutes/hips and shoulders regularly... but not these. More fool me.

Out of necessity I swapped out preacher for standing barbell curls and have decided to keep them. I was never sure how much the EZ bar weighed, and now don't need to find out. I used to avoid this movement as it would aggravate my elbow, so I'll be assessing that as the weight increases.

My intention for the end of 2018 and beginning of 2019 is to continue getting stronger and more capable, so that come qualifiers I'm not just ready, I'm already past it and looking at finals.

PRESS+ Thursday November 15th
stretch
Log clean-press:
65 kg x 3 x 5
Axle OHP (strict):
60 kg x 3
80 kg x 3
90 kg x 10 - big new PR for reps at this weight!
Bench press (paused):
60 kg x 5
100 kg x 3
130 kg x 3 x 3
Triceps pushdowns:
114 kg x 14
100 kg x 13
86 kg x 10
Standing barbell curls:
20 kg x 10
25 kg x 10
27.5 kg x 10
Dumbbell front raises (p/h):
10 kg x 10
12.5 kg x 2 x 10
Chest press machine (p/h):
22.5 kg x 4 x 10
Cardio:
assault bike 5 mins @ +55 rpm PR

No comments:

Post a Comment